Valarie Romeo joined our firm's Fort Lauderdale office in October 2013, bringing over 11 years of experience with the Florida Department of Revenue. Her familiarity with business law is instrumental in the review and administration of Florida tax audits for clients across various industries. After spending three years in collections, Valarie transitioned to becoming a state tax auditor.
Valarie holds a bachelor's degree in Arts with a minor in Accounting from Texas Southern University (1992) and an MBA from the University of Miami (1996).
Ms. Romero performs the following crucial functions for our firms:
- Utilizes time management strategies to review and schedule case workload.
- Assists taxpayers' management in effective administration of Florida Tax Statutes.
- Prepares comprehensive technical audit reports, outlining the basis for tax liabilities.
- Examine and analyze taxpayer accounting systems, assessing the reliability of records and internal controls.
- Investigates major suspected fraud cases or legal action involving in-state and out-of-state business entities.
- Keeps updated on legislative changes and administrative tax rules, focusing on Florida State Tax Law and Statutes.
- Conducts objective tax audits utilizing relevant, factual data and applying Florida business laws in an impartial manner.
- Traces transactions through journals and ledgers, ensuring alignment with financial statements and Federal tax returns.
- Audits books of original and closing entry for multi-state and international corporations based on applicable business law.
- Provides technical advice to fellow auditors, taxpayers, and taxpayers' representatives, drawing from experience with business laws and legal applications.